Happy New Year! There are new pictures and stories for you to enjoy. You can scroll down or go to the archives at the right of the page. I'd love to hear back from you. Enjoy!

December 19, 2006

Farenji Price

Farenji Price
The currency here is the birr. I'm getting paid in birr and thought I would be making a considerable salary. Not so... first off, my salray is taxed 35%, then I soon realized that I must pay the farenji price for most everything. What is the farenji price? That means that because I am a foreigner I must pay roughly double what Ethiopians are charged.
For example, A taxi that costs 10 birr for Ethiopians costs me 25. Rent is about half my salary ( but I have a toilet and kitchen- something some people in Addis don't have). Even the beggars expect more! They ask for a couple of birr- enough to buy a kilo of vegetables or enough to get take the bus for a week, enough to get a beer.
I don't object to this system, it makes sense. Addis is full of diplomats and NGO employees who earn a lot of money even by US standards- here they are filthy rich, roaming around in Land Cruisers. A flat fee shouldn't apply to everyone b/c then Ethiopians wouldn't be able to participate in the same activites as foreigners.
However, I'm getting annoyed. I want to be able to be able to travel outside of the city- I came to Addis to work, but I also hoped to see Ethiopia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home