Happy New Year! There are new pictures and stories for you to enjoy. You can scroll down or go to the archives at the right of the page. I'd love to hear back from you. Enjoy!

March 31, 2007

Sponsors

March 23, 2007
A new culture is forming... one of dependency.  I don't know the history and am not an expert in this field, but what I see is powerful.  It is going to change Ethiopia greatly. There are several degrees of dependency.  There are those who live in rural areas and live off the money that family members make in the city (usually as beggars and servants). There are those who have family members abroad who send home money.  And then the troubling group, there are those who meet and befriend foreigners or as they see them, sponsors.  The foreigners send something like $100 a month (that is equivalent to about $1000 dollars).
 Often times foreigners give money to students so they can continue their studies.  So why do I find this troubling?
 1. Abuse the generosity- you'll meet "students" who have a part time job, don't attend school and have 2 or 3 sponsors.
 2. Expect foreigners to help -As a foreigner here is gets really annoying to meet people who EXPECT you to help them. 
There really is a mentality of dependency, I know the economy is hard, making money is tough for some here, but people are losing work ethic and losing creativity.  Perfectly healthy young men beg for money as I am carrying heavy bags- at least offer to carry my bags for a small fee, you know? 
 3. Creates imbalance in class, economy and even culture- maybe I'm going out on a limb here, seeing as I know nothing of economics but, when foreigners bring in money, prices raise, in tourist towns where many people find sponsors, what will come of those who don't find a sponsor, yet cannot afford raising prices?
And the culture changes.  I know a 12 year old who does attend school.  He is also wearing baggy pants, big boots and chains around his neck like a gangster.  He lives in  Ad dis, away from his family.  To him, money allows him to be more Western. 
 I'm not making a good argument.. I guess this is just my gut feeling, I'll have to pay more attention and revise these arguments...


We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love
(and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home