Happy New Year! There are new pictures and stories for you to enjoy. You can scroll down or go to the archives at the right of the page. I'd love to hear back from you. Enjoy!

October 04, 2006

Ethiopian Men

MEN-so woch...
The Wonderful thing about Ethiopian men is that they are affectionate with each other! They walk down the streets holding hands and holding each other around the waist. They greet each other with handshakes and hugs that sometimes last a while! The bond between men and the open affection is refreshing. There's no paranoia about appearing gay, there's no holding back!

I went to a co-worker's party last weekend. She is married to an Ethiopian who invited all of his friends. It was so strange and exciting to see a room full of men singing, making jokes and dancing with each other. They totally ignored all the girls and just enjoyed each other.

However, the men here are so persistent, agressive, charming and confident- it is scary!! They have lines so smooth, that against my better judgement, I might fall for. I've got to watch out. It's like I read in article from My Fashion (Ethiopia's Vanity Fair)- The men will swoon me not because I'm intelligent, nice or hot "but because [my] skin is pastier than the paper this is printed on." So true!

I think a white girlfriend means one of two things:
1. Status
2. A ticket out of Ethiopia
(I've already been proposed to several times...I was also offered $20,000 (US$) for marriage!!)

The other thing about men here is that they cheat- I know that's a universal truth, but here it is done openly. The men have no shame. I've heard girls talking about it, and seen men doing it. Several times I have been asked out immediately after being told they have a wife/girlfriend!!!???? The nerve!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home