The Sounds
The Sounds of waking up...
I wake up every morning to the gentle, slow Orthodox prayers being sung on loud speaker over the city. I have no idea what they're singing...but it is nice. I can hear the mud being swept outside by the owner of the house. The brooms are made of a strong, thick straw, so every sweep sounds like a smack against the ground. The young girls who live behind me chatter to each other, the brother revs the engine of the car. The three legged cat begins whining for food and the puppies cry to be let out of their crates. The pigeons coo and the rooster, how do I say it?- cock- a- doodles...
Inevitably while I'm showering I hear the dishes clinking while the maid washes them at the outdoor sink- this means that I'm left with a head full of shampoo and without any water till the washing is completed.
I can hear hammering begin across the street, the echo of constant honking down below at the street. I hear the monotnous pounding of coffee being ground manually. I hear the tarps being pulled out, the barley, salt and peppers being poured on top to dry... waking up here is nice... sometimes I just lay in bed a little longer listening to all the noises that used to be so unfamiliar. But now I lay in bed and can identify which neighbor I hear, which car is being turned on or what is being prepared for the day's meals.
Access over 1 million songs - Yahoo! Music Unlimited Try it today.

1 Comments:
I always look forward to reading your newest work. I feel like I have a piece of you here in my heart and that you're just up the road not thousands of miles away. Make the most of your time and enjoy it all. The good, the bad, and the beautiful. You never know where life will take you. Just remember to be safe and use that beautiful brain of yours. Was that the mom in me comig out??? I long to go on adventures like yours so do it for me and have the time of your life. You are making an impact whether you know it or not. These kids will be touched to have known you even for just a second. All it takes is a few words and they can stay within a person's heart forever.
October 30, 2006
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home