Happy New Year! There are new pictures and stories for you to enjoy. You can scroll down or go to the archives at the right of the page. I'd love to hear back from you. Enjoy!

November 14, 2006

Steven The Drama Queen

Steven the Drama QueenSeptember 27, 2006I always knew my roomate Steven was a drama queen, but I didn't know he was also a crazed alcoholic...I guess I should have foreseen this week's drama after hearing his stories of getting mugged in Slovakia, drunk in Brodaslava, hospitalized in Spain, waking up on random benches, etc... but I didn't. To make a really long story short, Steven got pneumonia and stayed from work all week. At first I saw him drinking vodka, but figured it was the evening and didn't make much of it. As the days passed he became more and more emotional. I would go home at break, lunch and after school to check on him. One day I didn't check on him till after school, he cried because I hadn't visited him all day and continued to guilt trip me the rest of the week. Friday I went home at break, he looked awful and was a crying basket case. He was mad at me again because I went to work early and didn't stay to take care of him...I arranged for him to be taken to a hospital. An hour later, while in the middle of preparing my classrooms, the driver came to find me and tell me that Steven (who I didn't like at this point for various other reasons I won't get into) is scared and wants me to go with him to the hospital... so I went. When I got to the car, Steven, 44, was balling. He could barely breath and kept crying, "I want my mommy."We proceeded to the hospital, trying to calm him on the way. Beggars would come to the car window and instead of asking for money ask what was wrong with him. By the time we got to the clinic, Steven had worked himself into a frenzy. Teddy, the driver, and I walked with him, like a crutch on either side. We entered the waiting room and he continued crying, I don't mean quiet, rolling tears- I mean sobbing and yelling, "I'm scared. I'm scared. I'm an American" and looking around disgusted by the Ethiopian clinic (which was actually very nice). Despite a full waitng room he saw a doctor immediately! The first doctor talked calmly to him trying to figure out what the problem was. I ended up telling the doctor his history and symptoms since Steven was either crying to hard to speak, repeating "I'm gonna die," or dramatically passing out. I don't think the doctor really believed his fainting spells. During the first one, she kind of laughed and questioned matter of factly, "What are you doing?" He perked right up. This continued through the trip to the other room for an ultrasound- the room was large enough only for the doctor and patient's bed- NO MORE. Steven insisted we stay with him. I tried plastering myself to the door so the doctor could reach him but Steven grabbed me yelling, "Don't leave me!" He was rolling his eyes at the doctor, saying the doctor didn't know what he was doing and that he was going to die. By this time I can smell the alcohal and had lost sympathy for him... I had to laugh, I've never seen anything more ridiculous in my entire life. Total strangers were coming to see the spectical - they had heard about him. Sick patients were even trying to comfort him and calm him down. I understand the guy is sad. I understand that is sucks to be sick in a foreign country. I understand that he has a drinking problem... but this went on until 11 at night!! The embarassing part was that he kept treating the Ethiopian staff like idiots, even though he got better and cheaper care than he would have in the States. He kept yelling," But I'm an American!!" Turns out he has gallstones and needs surgery. The hospital was unable to do anything with him the first day because his blood alcohol content was so high. So now it all makes sense- why he always needed to borrow money. Now I understand why he was throwing up every night. Now I understand that I don't want to live with him!The school decided that they would let him go and fly him home... but Steven doesn't want to go. Then the rumors began to fly as they do at FTA:Our director told us that...- He is a fraud, his resume doesn't check out...- His Mother is not a doctor as Steven had said.- His family had no money to pay hospital bills, like he said they could.- He is an alcoholic,etc., etc.Mind you, Steven is my roomate. Yesterday he was released from the hospital. I was told that he would collect his items and leave. But instead he went home and Dr. Rod, the director, told me that it would be up to ME to decide if he stays in the house- a decision that shouldn't be left up to me-So I had a confrontation with Steven. He thinks that I should leave the house!!! Which makes no sense seeing that he lost his job and I'm staying here for the year. Another headache!! I feel like my life is a soap opera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home